COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP/WVOC ) - A spokesman for Governor Nikki Haley says the First Family is safe after being evacuated for a small fire at the Governor's Mansion.
A Bureau of Protective Services officer noticed smoke coming from a basement window about 7:45 on Friday morning during a routine patrol.
Haley and her children were safely evacuated to a nearby building.
Spokesman Rob Godfrey says Haley is grateful for the first responders.
The Columbia Fire Department responded to the officer's 911 call and ventilated smoke from the residence.
Investigators say the fire started from laundry that overheated in a dryer in the basement.