BOONE, N.C. (AP/WVOC) - North Carolina police are pointing to carbon monoxide poisoning as the likely cause of death of a South Carolina boy and an elderly couple in the same motel room about two months apart.
Police in Boone say emergency responders found carbon monoxide in the room where 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill died Saturday at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza.
A preliminary autopsy determined the boy died from asphyxia, which happens when inhaled toxic gases cut off oxygen to the body.
The child's 49-year-old mother Jeannie Williams was rushed to a hospital and survived.
A couple from the state of Washington were found dead in the same motel room on April 16th.
And police say new toxicology results show 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins also died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Authorities say the motel room is near a natural gas heater for the indoor pool.