BOONE, N.C. (AP/WVOC) - North Carolina police point to a faulty pool water heater as the source of carbon monoxide that killed an 11-year-old South Carolina boy last weekend and a Washington couple who slept in the same motel room about two months earlier.
Police in Boone say plumbing investigators called in to look through the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza pinpointed the water heater below room 225 as the source of the killer gas.
They say the exhaust system for the pool heater was deficient.
The toxic gas is being blamed for the death of 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill on Saturday.
That was nearly two months after carbon monoxide in the same room killed 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Washington.