ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP/WVOC) - Funeral services were held in Rock Hill Sunday for a South Carolina boy who became the third person to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a North Carolina motel room.
11-year-old Jeffrey Williams and his mother were staying at the Best Western motel in Boone, North Carolina, to visit his older sister at a summer science camp.
The mother was sickened by the lethal gas, but survived and attended her son's funeral in a wheelchair.
Tests completed one week before Williams died on June 8th found carbon monoxide also killed an elderly couple from Washington state almost two months earlier on April 16th in the same motel room.
But a North Carolina county medical examiner did not notify local health officials who could have shut down the motel before Williams met the same fate.
The medical examiner, Dr. Brent Hall, resigned Friday.
The deadly room is above the motel swimming pool and records show an indoor gas heater for the pool was not ventilated properly, allowing the colorless, odorless toxic gas to seep into the room.
North Carolina's health secretary says the deaths should never have happened, and she says the state is reviewing what went wrong.
(Photo source: Greene Funeral Home)