COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP/WVOC) - A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen at Fire Station Number 1 on Laurel Street, next to department headquarters.
Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says sprinklers helped contain the blaze Monday evening before firefighters could return, but there was still some $20,000 in damages.
Jenkins says the station was empty when the grease caught fire because all the firefighters were responding to several calls during a thunderstorm.
The chief is considering whether to discipline the firefighter who left the pot on the stove.
Jenkins says he knows some people might laugh at a firefighter causing a fire.
But he says it shows flames can happen anywhere and no one is immune from a careless mistake that might spark a blaze.