TRAVELERS REST, S.C. (AP/WVOC) - A Travelers Rest man has died after fireworks exploded in his hands on July Fourth.
The Greenville County Coroner's Office says 54-year-old Robin Smith died on the way to a hospital around 9:45 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say Smith had been shooting fireworks in his yard and a mortar round-type with a four-inch opening at the top failed to ignite.
Investigators say Smith took the device out of the ground and used a pocket knife to install a new fuse. Witnesses say Smith was holding it against his chest when it went off.
Meanwhile, a worker at a July Fourth fireworks show in North Myrtle Beach was hurt after a shell exploded prematurely. The man was taken to a hospital for treatment, but there's no word on his condition.
City spokesman Pat Dowling says part of the Cherry Grove Pier was damaged in the blast Thursday evening. He says there's a hole in the pier and part of the railing is damaged.
Dowling says the show ended after just six minutes because of the explosion. But Zambelli Fireworks concluded the best way to remove the remaining fireworks was to set them off and did so later.