COLUMBIA, S.C. (SCRN/AP/WVOC) - Experian has said it will offer cancellations to any South Carolinians who have signed up to renew their credit monitoring service with the company for a second year.
Experian is not bidding on a second year of state-provided monitoring following the hacking at the state Department of Revenue, but has been trying to sign up individual customers, telling them the state is not going to continue to pay for the service.
However, the state does plan to award a new contract to another company on Monday to extend state-provided credit monitoring for at least one more year.
DOR Director Bill Blume told the South Carolina Radio Network he is upset Experian had told customers the state was not continuing the coverage, but otherwise, the company is entitled to go after customers on its own.
However, Blume is urging residents not to sign up until they get a chance to review the state's new contract, which he feels will have more to offer than the current coverage.
“I think it's going to be more robust and it's going to have a couple features in it that are entirely different than what was available before,” he says.
The credit monitoring was recommended after the personal information of more than six million individual taxpayers and businesses in South Carolina was compromised last year when state income tax data was hacked at DOR.